Ok, the secret’s out! One of my favorite TV Shows/Movies is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS. After a four-year hiatus, the tipsy Fashionistas Patsy Stone (Joanna Lumley) and Edina Monsoon (Jennifer Saunders) are back in “Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie.”
Here are 10 FASHION TIPS I’VE GLEANED FROM PATSY & EDINA OVER THE YEARS
- Coco Chanel famously advised that before leaving the house, you should look in the mirror and take one thing off. If you’re Patsy and Eddy, maybe look in the mirror and remove a little more, OK, a lot more.
- Caftans should never be worn more than 25 yards from the water- unless you’re on the Serengeti – and never belted unless the National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch
- Though you may be worth your weight in gold, you needn’t prove it by wearing it around your neck.
- Those fur vests are called “chubbies” for a reason
- Sunglasses hide a multitude of sins, boredom and smudged mascara.
- You are only as large as your widest piece of clothing.
- There is no article of clothing men despise more than a tie. So if you have any intrest in seducing a man, avoid Windsor knots.
- After a certain age, do not wear tights that are tinted the same color as spider veins: you’ll look like you have them
- A dirndl waistline is as attractive as it sounds
- If you are having a blast, you are going to look absolutely fabulous no matter what you have on.
Just returned from a great trip to New York. Always fun to catch up with friends at wonderful restaurants for breakfast , lunch and dinner. One of my favorites was lunch my good friend and former business associate Craig Weinrich. We met at the fabulous new restaurant opened by the great actor Chazz Paalmenteiri. Chazz is an actor, screenwriter and producer best known for his Academy Award-nominated role for best supporting actor in Bullets Over Broadway and his recurring role as Shorty in Modern Family. Craig ordered an over-the-top Chardonnay (which he knows I love!) and I had the very best linguine with white clam sauce. Even the waiter was impressed with his wine choice!!
Now for the fashion report. I went to visit Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue where the fashionistas hang out (see photo) . Since it was cold and rainy, most women wear wearing versions of black puffer coats but added flair with a large scarf or shawl draped over their shoulders (see photos) and a hat. The one nod to color was a bright handbag, this lady chose red which was a popular choice.
The stores were ready for Spring and their windows reflected some upcoming themes. Black and white is still #1 (of course, it’s NY!). Here’s a photo of the Zara windows with lots of ideas on how to make it look fresh and new. The other big trend was PRINTS, especially printed pajamas. Here are two from Anna Sui in her Soho store window. Well, at least it’s new and really comfortable! New York inspires me and even a short trip sends me home with lots of inspiration and ideas!
Just returned from our incredible trip to Costa Rica! Here are 10 reasons why I love this country:
- Costa Rica was recently voted “The Friendliest Country in The World” and they truly are!
- They genuinely care about the environment and building Green
- Only 20% of the entire country is developed and there are no high-rise hotels or chain stores (sorry McDonald lovers!)
- The animals roam free and the diversity is incredible – 400 species of birds, lots of monkeys including the noisy Howlers that actually sound like dogs, bats, iguanas, frogs, crocodiles, turtles and lots more
- The food is fresh, farm-to-table, healthy and delicious
- Lots of “feet-in-the-sand” bars and restaurants, my favorite
- You can be as active or lazy as you want to be – our trip included whitewater rafting, snorkeling, sea kayaking, nite hiking, catamaran sailing and hanging bridge climbs
- The two airports are state-of-the-art and get you thru customs and immigration in a flash
- The beaches are gorgeous and there are so many you can always find a secluded spot
- The hotels and activity providers really care that you enjoy yourself. They show up on-time and want you to be comfortable and happy
The day before we were leaving there was a volcanic eruption and at the same time, a meteor shower flashed ACROSS THE VOLCANO – that’s celebrating the New Year with a FLASH & A BANG!
We are already planning our next trip back and as they say in Costa Rica, PURA VIDA!!
Happy New Year wonderful friends! Having an amazing time in Costa Rica! Next best thing to being here is this video!
Big hug, Janis
I would like to wish all my wonderful friends and loyal listeners, Happy Holidays and the very best for the New Year. David, me and our good friend Ronnie are off to Costa Rica for the next two weeks. We have an adventurous trip planned including whitewater rafting; hiking; snorkeling; night jungle safaris; catamaran tours and lots more. We will be visiting San Jose (the capital); Manuel Antonio, a gorgeous nature preserve; Monteverde, the cloud forest; the Arenal volcano and finally a week on Sugar Beach, the Pacific northern coast. I will be keeping you up-to-date as we travel
So the first 5:30AM safari was pretty uneventful. Saw lots of deer (which I could have seen in Prescott!), birds and monkeys. If there were tigers, they were somewhere else in this 15,000 acre preserve. So, after returning to the hotel we ran to the spa where we took a long steam bath to try and get warm and had a lovely massage in preparation for our sunset safari. At 5PM, we met our guide Agam and driver in the lobby and started off on our second safari. It was just as cold and we loaded up on even more blankets for our open-air adventure. Things were going as uneventfully as the morning safari until we rounded a corner where there were five other jeeps stopped and looking at a small heard of elephants and their babies. All was calm and peaceful until the biggest elephant began to stare at us. Then suddenly, she began to CHARGE our jeep and our driver started to back up quickly. This terrifying experience lasted about five very long minutes when just as suddenly the elephant stopped inches in front our jeep. Agam called it a “mock charge” which I think he made up to let us think this happens often. Well, I couldn’t help thinking that before the trip I was worried about being eaten by a tiger and could have just as easily been charged and stomped to death by an elephant. Well, at least I have a great photo and an even better story!
You’ll be happy to know I am now home safe and sound from our amazing adventure in India. I’ve already told you how long it takes to get there but thanks to British Air Business Class and their wonderful lounge (where I actually got a massage while I was waiting for the flight to New Delhi!) time went by very quickly.
Here’s a tip, always wear compression hose on long trips to prevent blood clots and after a welcome glass of champagne, switch to water.
So we finally arrived in New Delhi and were met by our smiling driver Shankar who was with us for the entire trip. We arrived at the TAJ GATEWAY HOTEL close to the Jim Corbett Park and escorted to a gorgeous bungalow.
The next morning at 5:30AM, we were off to our first safari in an open-air jeep in 35 degree windy weather. It was then that we realized we had totally packed the wrong clothes as the park is actually at the foothills of the Himalayas! The good news was there were blankets & hot water bottles which helped keep us somewhat warm but didn’t help the incredibly bumpy roads.
More to come…..
This afternoon I’m off on a GIRLS GETAWAY to India with my very best friend Ellen to celebrate her birthday. So, here’s our itinerary: 11 Hours from Los Angeles to London followed by a nine hour flight from London to New Delhi but that’s not our final destination! Once we reach New Delhi we take a six hour car trip to the CORBETT TIGER RESERVE, a must-see on Ellen’s “Bucket List”.
CORBETT TIGER RESERVE has captured the imagination of many with its diverse wildlife and breathtaking landscapes. The natural uniqueness of the area was recognized in 1936 when Corbett attained the distinction of becoming the first National Park to be established in mainland Asia. The park was named after James Edward Corbett the noted hunter turned conservationist of the area.
Today, the total area of the CORBET TIGER RESERVE covers an area of 521 sq. km. The streams, rivers and ridges crisscrossing the terrain create a remarkable variety of landscapes. This vivid mosaic of habitats wet and dry, plain and mountainous, gentle and rugged, forests and grasslands supports numerous plant and animal species. The most famous of Corbett’s wild residents are the Royal Bengal Tiger and the Asiatic Elephant. In addition, Corbett is one of the richest bird regions of the Country and has been declared as an ‘Important Bird Area’ (IBA) by Birdlife International.
Following our three days of safaris at Corbett we head to AGRA and the incredible Taj Mahal to practice yoga and indulge ourselves in some lovely spa treatments at our hotel, the ITC Mughal. This trip is a dream come true and as we travel I’ll let you know about our amazing adventures!
We all need someone who inspires us to do better than we know. I consider myself very fortunate to have so many friends and business associates who have helped me navigate my life and truly made me better than I was. That’s why it is so important to me to host a radio show and website – The Janis Best Show – to inspire, educate and motivate women to be happy, healthy and beautiful.
It’s amazing that in all of Northern Arizona this is truly the only radio show and site completely devoted to women and our interests. Ladies, there’s enough politics, news, sports, car talk and other guy stuff on the radio and online to last a lifetime. So don’t worry, The Janis Best Show will leave that to the rest of the radio and web, and instead focus on guests with stories and information about beauty, fashion, wellness, travel, relationships, the arts, philanthropy, home, family, food, wine and much more. You’ll be able to contact me to let me know what you’re thinking so I can bring in guests with information important to you and your life.
So join me and the women of Northern Arizona on The Janis Best Show, a warm, helpful and fun-loving community!